Friday 12 March 2010

Mixing it up...

I'm just going to come right out and say it; I'm not a fan of the gym. I know, I know, you all think I'm mad. Maybe its just because I don't go very often, maybe its because the gym I go to doesn't really have much on the TV (and no TVs in front of the treadmills :( ), who knows.

I don't go the gym very often (maybe 3 times/month), so I don't bother paying for a membership, I use a local 'Army' gym (so named, because its on the military complex/town nearby). Consequently, its a basic gym (hence the lack of TVs!), but its always quite empty (never a queue for machines), you can pay as you go and its half the price of the local leisure centre!

I went down after work tonight, didn't get there till about 8pm, and decided to try something a bit different. I challenged myself to do 1km 'sets' on each piece of cardio equipment. So my session went something like:

*1km Cross Trainer
*1km Treadmill
*3km Bike (1km seemed a bit short!)
*1km Rower
*1km Treadmill
*1km Cross Trainer
*1km Rower

It worked - I didn't get bored! I was in the gym for a total of 45 minutes, and I don't think I was on any piece of equipment for more than 7 or 8 minutes at a time. I also made an effort to use intervals to add interest, so I set the bike and cross trainer on the 'random' programme to incorporate hills, did 30 second bursts every minute on the rower and altered my speed every minute on the treadmill.

Was also feeling very proud in the first outing of my Bath Half Marathon t-shirt. Until someone walked in wearing an IronMan top! :D

2 comments:

  1. I hate the gym too. And the treadmill is definitely the worst for me! My PT is good at finding other exercises to do! Well done on your workout!

    Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gym. I call it my happy place!
    Good for you. How are you feeling after bath?

    Cx

    ReplyDelete